TouchPass Electronic Fare Payment
TouchPass electronic fare collection (EFC) system allows passengers to purchase fare products online and ride VVTA buses using a smart card or mobile app. The hassle-free payment options streamline the boarding process by eliminating the need for passengers to fumble around for cash and loose change while paying fare when boarding the bus. Get TouchPass Now!
- Get a TouchPass Account now!
- Download the TouchPass Android Mobile App now!
- Download the TouchPass Apple iOS App now!
What is a TouchPass Card?
- The TouchPass Card is a contactless smart card, a credit card-sized piece of plastic that contains a computer chip and embedded antenna wire. When the TouchPass Card is within about 2 inches of the lower section or “target” of the TouchPass Reader, it will begin exchanging information with the TouchPass Reader using radio waves.
Where can I get a TouchPass Card?
- You can obtain a TouchPass Card from any participating agency’s customer service location.
Is there a cost to get a TouchPass Card?
- Participating agencies may assess a fee for the purchase or replacement of a TouchPass Card. See the participating transit agencies’ websites or call or visit one of its customer service locations for information about such fees.
What is the advantage of registering my TouchPass Card?
- Registration is optional for TouchPass Card users. Registering a TouchPass Account will protect the Stored Value, passes and accrued transfer rights in your account in the event that your TouchPass Card or mobile device is lost, damaged, or stolen. Additionally, only registered accounts are eligible to use the Autoload service or to view transaction history.
How do I register my TouchPass Card?
- You can register by going online to the TouchPass website, by using the TouchPass Mobile App and selecting the Already have a card? option or by visiting or calling a participating agency’s customer service location. Please note that if you use the TouchPass Mobile App to register, your TouchPass Card will be disabled and you’ll need to use your mobile device with the TouchPass Mobile App to make fare payments from that point forward.
I have a TouchPass card, where can I reload it?
- TouchPass Cardholders can purchase Fare Products using the following methods:
- TouchPass website
- Participating agency customer service location
- Participating retail locations
- Using Autoload
How do I use my TouchPass Card on the bus?
- To use your TouchPass Card, you must first purchase at least one Fare Product that is valid for use in the transit system that you intend to ride. When you board your bus, confirm that the TouchPass reader is displaying the agency logo then present either the front or back side of your TouchPass Card within two inches of the bottom, angled portion of the TouchPass Reader. It’s also OK to tap your card lightly to the TouchPass Reader. You’ll see the display on the reader change to show that your TouchPass Card was read and then a message will display confirming that your fare payment was completed successfully.
What should I do if my TouchPass Card is lost or stolen?
- Call or visit your participating agency’s customer service location immediately to report that your TouchPass Card has been lost or stolen. If you have registered your TouchPass Account, the Stored Value balance, passes and transfer rights in your TouchPass Account are protected after the loss is reported to us.
Does it matter which side of the TouchPass Card is presented to the TouchPass Reader?
- You can present either the front or back side of your TouchPass Card to the TouchPass Reader. Ideally, you should present your card so that one side is parallel to the surface of the TouchPass Reader and no more than one (1) inch away.
Can I punch a hole in my TouchPass Card so that I can attach it to my belt or purse?
- No. The TouchPass Card has an embedded computer chip and antenna wire. If either of these are damaged, your TouchPass card may stop working and you may incur a fee to get a replacement. If your TouchPass Card is not registered and is damaged, you may lose any Stored Value, passes or accrued transfer rights that are stored in the associated TouchPass Account.
Can my family or friends use my TouchPass Card?
- No. In order to use the TouchPass System, each passenger must have and use his/her own TouchPass Card or a mobile device with the TouchPass Mobile App.
Can I use my TouchPass Card to pay for the fare of another person that is traveling with me?
- Some participating agencies may allow this when using Stored Value or certain specific Fare Products. Contact your participating agency to determine what its policy is regarding the sharing of Fare Products to pay the fare for another passenger traveling with you.
What happens if the TouchPass Reader can’t read my TouchPass Card?
- If the TouchPass Reader display does not change when you present your TouchPass Card within two inches of the lower, angled section, try presenting your TouchPass Card again. Be sure to present the front or back side of your TouchPass Card approximately parallel to and within no more than two inches of the surface of the TouchPass Reader. If the TouchPass Reader display sill does not change, it’s likely that your TouchPass Card is damaged and will need to be replaced. Contact a participating agency’s customer service location to obtain a replacement card.
TOUCHPASS MOBILE APP
What is the TouchPass Mobile App?
- The TouchPass Mobile App is a software application that is downloaded to an eligible smartphone and used to create and manage a TouchPass Account and to make fare payments on board vehicles of participating agencies.
How can I get the TouchPass Mobile App?
- You can download the TouchPass Mobile App to any eligible smartphone from the appropriate App Store. For devices using the Android operating system, visit the Google Play by tapping the Google play icon. For devices using Apple iOS, visit the Apple App Store by tapping the App Store icon.
What can I do with the TouchPass Mobile App?
- Using the TouchPass Mobile app, you can register your mobile device and create a TouchPass Account, buy Fare Products, view transaction history, and initiate fare payments by presenting your mobile device to the TouchPass Reader.
What are the advantages of using the TouchPass Mobile App?
- Using the TouchPass Mobile App you’ll be able to purchase Fare Products in the comfort of your home or office or even on board a bus. You’ll be able to check your Stored Value balance and the status of any passes you’ve purchased with just a couple of taps on your mobile device. You won’t need to carry around a TouchPass Card and will be able to initiate fare payments using your mobile device.
What is the cost of the TouchPass Mobile App?
- There are no fees assessed for the download or use of the TouchPass Mobile App, however, your mobile network provider may charge you when the App uses your mobile data plan. You may also incur charges from the provider of your credit, debit or prepaid debit card account when you use that account to make fare product purchases at the TouchPass website or using the TouchPass Mobile App.
How do I pay a fare using the TouchPass Mobile App?
- Paying your fare with your smartphone uses a two-dimensional barcode, also known as a Quick Response or “QR” code. A QR code is two-dimensional bar code made up of a series of black and white squares arranged in the shape of a larger square. The QR Code will be displayed on the Home screen of the TouchPass Mobile App when you have Fare Product or transfer rights in your TouchPass Account. To pay a fare, turn the screen with the QR code toward the TouchPass Reader until you see a video of your mobile device displayed on the TouchPass Reader. While watching the video, move your mobile device so that the displayed QR code is positioned within the white corner markers also visible on the TouchPass Reader. The video will disappear once the QR code has been read.
What is a TouchPass Account?
- A TouchPass Account is an electronic record within the TouchPass System that includes an ID for the associated TouchPass Mobile App or TouchPass Card, a list of all Fare Products that are available for use and a transaction history. You can open a TouchPass Account using the TouchPass website or the TouchPass Mobile App or by visiting or calling a customer service location of any participating agency.
What is a Fare Product?
- Fare Product is a term used to refer to any prepaid pass, ticket or Stored Value that can be used to pay for rides on a participating agency’s public transportation system.
Where can I buy Fare Products?
- You can purchase Fare Products using any of the following methods:
- TouchPass website TouchPass Mobile App
What is Stored Value?
- Stored Value is value that can be used to pay fares on a participating transit agency’s system. When you purchase Stored Value, it is loaded into your TouchPass Account. When you use Stored Value to travel, you are paying for your fares per ride and your fare for travel will be deducted from your account’s Stored Value when you use a TouchPass Reader.
How can I check my Stored Value balance?
- You can check your registered TouchPass Account’s Stored Value balance in the following ways:
- TouchPass website
- Using the TouchPass Mobile App
- At participating agency customer service locations
My Stored Value balance is negative, what happened?
- In certain instances, a participating agency may allow your Stored Value balance to go below zero in order to pay a fare. In addition, the posting of transactions to your account may be delayed in some circumstances allowing one or more fare payments to be approved even though your Stored Value balance was insufficient, or you did not have a pass to cover the fare due. We’ll automatically add the amount to your next purchase of Fare Product. If your agency allows direct purchases of Stored Value, you can also correct this situation by making a purchase of Stored Value for the negative amount or the minimum Stored Value purchase amount, whichever is greater.
I’m trying to pay for a purchase but I’m getting an error message, what’s wrong?
- Participating agencies may use the Address Verification Service (“AVS”), a program that will verify that the address you used matches the address on your bankcard statement before approving your payment transaction. Because address may be recorded in different ways, its important that you input your address exactly as it appears on your statements. If there are two addresses (for instance, a PO Box number and a street address) printed on your statement, you may need to try inputting each of them separately to determine which of them your card issuer is using with AVS.
I just purchased a pass, when can I use it?
- All Fare Product purchases are posted instantly to your TouchPass Account and can be used immediately after your purchase transaction has been completed.
What types of passes can I add to my TouchPass account?
- Participating agencies may offer a variety of different types of passes. You can view the specific types of passes offered by a particular agency by using the Select agency function available in the Main Menu of the TouchPass Mobile App or by using the Change agencies function located in the navigation bar at the top of every screen the TouchPass website. You can also see a list of available passes at the website of a participating agency or by visiting a participating agency’s customer service location.
How do I check my pass expiration date?
- You can view the expiration date of any pass in your TouchPass Account in the following ways
- By signing on to your TouchPass Account using the TouchPass website and selecting the My Products link in the navigation bar at the top of every screen.
- By signing on to your TouchPass Mobile App and navigating to the Home screen.
- By viewing the display of TouchPass Reader whenever a pass is used to pay the fare. The expiration date of the pass used will be included in the information shown on the fare confirmation screen.
- By visiting or calling a participating agency’s customer service location. Each agency will only be able to provide information about passes that are issued by that agency.
I have a valid pass in my TouchPass account. Why did I get declined at the TouchPass reader?
- A brief explanation for each declined fare payment is displayed on the TouchPass Reader. You can also get information about your TouchPass Account to determine the reason in the following ways:
- TouchPass website
- Using the TouchPass Mobile App
- At participating agency customer service locations
Will I be charged any fees for having or using my TouchPass Account?
- We do not assess any fees for opening or using a TouchPass Account. You may be charged fees by your bankcard provider for the use of your bankcard to make purchases using the TouchPass website or on the TouchPass Mobile App. Your mobile network operator may charge you fees for sending or receiving messages using the TouchPass Mobile App or using your mobile device to connect to the TouchPass website.
Can I get a refund for Fare Products that I purchased?
- Policies regarding the refunds for any Fare Product you purchase is determined by the agency that offers that product. Please contact the agency or visit the agency’s website to obtain additional information about the agency’s refund policy.
I just used TouchPass on a bus. When will the fare payment be posted to my TouchPass Account?
- In most cases, your fare payment will be posted instantly to your TouchPass Account. In some situations, the posting may be delayed for a short period of time.
What are Alerts?
- Alerts are automated messages that are sent to you by the TouchPass System. You can customize the types of Alerts that are sent to you. If you are using the TouchPass Card, Alerts will be sent to your email address. If you are using the TouchPass Mobile App, you can choose to receive the Alerts as a push message to your mobile device or as an email.
How do I add or change my personal information in my TouchPass Account?
- You can add or change personal information in your TouchPass Account using the TouchPass website. Login to your account, then select the Contact Info link displayed in the dark bar at the bottom of every screen. Type in the new information in the appropriate field(s) then click on the Save Contact Info button.
- If you’re using the TouchPass Mobile App, you can add or change personal information by selecting the My Account option on the menu, then selecting the Contact Info option. Type in the new information in the appropriate field(s) then click on the Save Contact Info button.
- You can also have your personal information updated by visiting or calling any participating agency’s customer service location.
What is Autoload?
- Autoload is an optional service that will add Stored Value to your TouchPass Account when your balance gets low or an eligible pass when that pass is nearing its expiration or gets low on trips. To use Autoload, your TouchPass Account must be registered.
- I have Autoload but the credit card I use for payments is expiring. What should I do? You can change credit, debit or prepaid debit card information in your TouchPass Account using the TouchPass website after you’ve received your new card. Login to your account, then select the Payment Account link displayed in the dark bar at the bottom of every screen. Click on the Change button displayed with the last four digits of your stored card. Type in all of the information for your card then click on the Save Payment Method button.
- If you’re using the TouchPass Mobile App, you can add or change personal information by selecting the My Account option on the menu, then selecting the Payment Account option. Click on the Change button displayed with the last four digits of your stored card. Type in all of the information for your card then click on the Save Payment Method button.
- You can also have your payment card information updated by visiting or calling any participating agency’s customer service location.
I need to transfer to another route. How does that work with TouchPass?
- Transferring from one bus to another is easy with TouchPass. When you are boarding the next bus, just present your TouchPass Card or your mobile device with the TouchPass Mobile App to the TouchPass Reader in the usual way. The TouchPass System will automatically apply any free or discount transfer right you earned for a ride on another bus. The display of the TouchPass Reader will confirm the use of a transfer, when applicable, and you can also see that information in your transaction history using the TouchPass website and the TouchPass Mobile App.
I’m eligible for a fare discount program. How does that work with TouchPass?
- The application and approval process for fare discount programs are determined by each participating agency. Once you’ve been approved by your agency, your TouchPass Account will be updated to record that approval. Once that update has been made, you’ll be able to purchase discounted passes for your program. Also, if your agency’s fare policy allows it, you’ll receive the appropriate discount on any fares you pay using Stored Value.
When I pay a fare using TouchPass, how do I know that the correct fare has been deducted from my TouchPass Account?
- If you are using Stored Value to pay your fare, the information displayed on the TouchPass Reader will include the amount of the fare and the remaining balance of Stored Value in your TouchPass Account. If you are using a pass, the displayed information will include the name of the pass and the expiration date or, if it includes a predetermined number of trips, the remaining number of unused trips. Please note that in some instances, the Stored Value or trip balance information displayed on the TouchPass Reader may not include recent transactions.
The display on the TouchPass Reader said to contact customer service and my fare payment was denied. What should I do?
- You can review the status of your registered TouchPass Account to determine if there is a problem using the TouchPass website or the TouchPass Mobile App. You can also visit or call any participating agency’s customer service.
- Our online services are intended for a U.S. audience. If you visit or use one of our online services, your information may be transferred or processed in the United States. For non-
- Our online services are not intended for children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 without parental consent.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you visit or use our online services, we may collect personal information from or about you such as your name, email address, telephone number(s), TouchPass Card serial number, location information (for example, an address to help you find the nearest bus stop or train station), and password. We may also collect payment card information including your card number, expiration date, card security code and billing address when you provide such information while using our online services and where we believe it is reasonably required for ordinary business purposes.
USAGE & OTHER INFORMATION
TOUCHPASS MOBILE SERVICES
For your convenience, Delerrok offers you the ability to access some of our services through mobile applications and mobile-optimized websites (“TouchPass mobile services”). When you interact with us through TouchPass mobile services, we may collect information such as unique device identifiers for your mobile device, your screen resolution and other device settings, information about your location, and analytical information about how you use your mobile device. We may ask your permission before collecting certain information (such as precise geo- location information) through the TouchPass mobile services.
ADDITIONAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION
USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information discussed above in a number of ways, such as:
- Processing TouchPass Account applications and transactions;
- Providing you tailored content;
- Verifying your identity (such as when you access your account information);
- Operating, evaluating and improving our business (including developing new products and services; improving existing products and services; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
- Managing your preferences;
- Complying with and enforcing applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards, contractual obligations and our policies;
- Preventing fraud and enhancing the security of your account or our online services;
- Responding to your requests and communicating with you;
- Performing analytics concerning your use of our online services; and
- For any other purposes that we may specifically disclose at the time you provide or we collect your information.
We may also use data that we collect on an aggregate or anonymous basis (such that it does not include any personally identifying information (PII) about you for various business purposes, where permissible under applicable laws and regulations.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We may share the information we collect from and about you with certain parties that use our or provide support to our services. For example, we may share your information with:
- Transit agencies that subscribe to use TouchPass;
- Delerrok third-party service providers;
- Third parties or affiliates in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a sale, consolidation or merger of Delerrok businesses; and
We may share anonymous or aggregated information with third parties to help deliver products, services, and content that are better tailored to the users of our online services and for other purposes.
UNDERSTANDING COOKIES & OTHER TRAKCING TECHNOLOGIES
- “Cookies” are small amounts of data a website can send to a visitor’s web browser. They are often stored on the device you are using to help track your areas of interest. Cookies may also enable us or our service providers and other companies we work with to relate your use of our online services over time to customize your experience. Most web browsers allow you to adjust your browser settings to decline or delete cookies, but doing so may degrade your experience with our online services.
- Pixel tags (also known as clear GIFs or web beacons) are typically one-pixel, transparent images located on a webpage or in an email or other message—or similar technologies may be used on our sites and in some of our digital communications (such as email or other marketing messages). They may also be used when you are served advertisements, or you otherwise interact with advertisements outside of our online services. These are principally used to help recognize users, assess traffic patterns and measure site or campaign engagement.
You may see advertisements when you use our online services. These advertisements may be for new or existing products or services provided by us or by third parties. Which advertisements you see is often determined using the information we or our service providers, transit agencies and other companies that we work with have about you, including information about your relationships with us (e.g., types of fare products held, transactional information). To that end, where permitted by applicable law, we may share with others the information we collect from and about you.
We use reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to protect and limit access to personal identifiable information (PII).
- Access to PII is limited only to certain operations and technical employees for limited, approved purposes based on their specific work responsibilities necessary to the maintenance and operation of the Delerrok platform.
- Privacy and security training is required for employees with access to PII, upon hire. In addition, regular periodic refresher training may be required for those employees.
- Delerrok’s network is protected with firewalls.
- All PII is protected using role-based access control.
- Sensitive PII (e.g. payment account information) is encrypted when stored and when transmitted over public networks.
- Electronic connections to and from the TouchPass website are encrypted whenever PII data is exchanged.
- Vulnerability and penetration tests are conducted on the Delerrok system.
- All uses of Delerrok customer databases are monitored.
- Physical access to Delerrok servers is restricted to authorized, administrative and technical personnel.
- Data center access to approved administrative and technical personnel is restricted via passcode authentication and other security protocols.
Please note that information you send to us electronically may not be secure when it is transmitted to us. We recommend that you do not use unsecure channels to communicate sensitive or confidential information (such as your Social Security number) to us.
UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
Keeping your account information up-to-date is very important. You may review or update certain account information by logging in and accessing the “My Account” section.